This section presents a selected range of standards Furntech-AFRDI is currently either involved in the development of, or, involved in the process of the adoption/adaptation of as Australian Standards.
Every comment received will be seriously considered - your assistance is necessary to make these standards worthwhile and workable. The following standards are under consideration:
- A Rated Load standard for fixed height chairs (AFRDI 151) has been released.
- AS/NZS 3813:1998 Plastic monobloc chairs. Standards Australia have accepted a proposal to review this Standard and the project is well underway. The CS-088 committee plans to have a draft available for public comment in the first half of 2013.
- Review of standards AS/NZS 4442:1997 Office Desks and AS/NZS 4443:1997 Office panel systems - Workstations. A proposal has been submitted to Standards Australia to review the standards for office desks and office panel systems / workstations with the aim of updating requirements and to clarify and improve the test methods to accommodate the design developments and workplace design changes that have been introduced over recent years.
Standards Australia will announce if this project is successful in May 2013.
It is important that manufacturers, retailers and customers have confidence in the test methods and other requirements within the standards.
Therefore, Furntech-AFRDI would appreciate any comments regarding AS/NZS 4442:1997 Office desks and AS/NZS 4443:1997 Office Panel systems - Workstations and any improvements or additions that may be desirable.
Subject areas on which comment is invited include, but need not be limited to, the following:
- general strength and durability of legs, frames, worktops, panels
- ergonomic / dimensional requirements
- worksurface resistance to mechanical, heat and liquid damage
- electrical and cabling requirements
Comments would be most welcome and can be submitted directly to the Institute.